- A realm is a defined subset of number of repositories defined in the federated repository configuration of the Virtual Member Manager (VMM).
- Multiple realms are NOT supported when WebSphere Portal user registry is configured as stand-alone repository.
- A group in one of the repositories cannot encompass members from another repository.
- Names must be unique across the entire federated repositories.
- VMM users a database to federate and track its child repositories. The database does not contains the individual user membership but it contains the necessary information required to access the child repository.
- A single realm can be applied to multiple virtual portals but you can’t assign multiple realms to a single virtual portal.
- VMM stores it’s configuration settings in wimconfig.xml file which can be located at /wp_profile/conf/cell/<cellname>/wim/config directory.
- The wimconfig.xml file defines: The participating repositories for databases and LDAPs, The full repository’s base distinguished names (DN) and search bases for user and groups, The realms configuration for all defined realms.